Sunday, June 16, 2013

Letter to her dad - dated 6/7/13 - 6/10/13...


     Thanks for the letter. I was excited to see a handwritten letter!!
     At 2 p.m. on Tuesday we were waiting around while the mission president was receiving revelation on who should be our trainers. It was kind of funny because when the other missionaries got to the church, we were separated. It was them...and us. A few crossed the line but quickly returned to their own kind.

     When we found out who our trainer were it was around 3 p.m. We had to line up, trainers on one side and greenies on the other. Then, they called the trainer's name and who they were training. We would step forward when our name was called and meet our new companion (i.e. Sister B is training...Sister Brown).

     I was called first. I kind of knew it was coming. Sister B has only been out six weeks, so she hasn't even finished her 12 week training period. After I met her, we grabbed my luggage, bedding, and bike and we came to the members house were we live, and started planning and learning about the area book and all that stuff. (I still haven't unpacked. I probably won't ever). We live with an elderly member of the church. It's a really cute place. She is 90 something and she has dementia (she reminds me of Grandma Donna). 
     My first appointment was with a little lady who is mentally challenged. She has the mind of a 7 year old. She loves the Book of Mormon so we read it with her twice a week. We then went to a members house who is really good at giving referrals. He used to be a mission president. I gave the spiritual thought and shared my favorite scripture, Isaiah 49: 15 - 16. After that we went and knocked on one of his referrals' door. The old man came to the door and said, "We are Buddhist", and shut the door... 
     Then we went to visit a part/less active family. That was nice. By the end of that it was 9:00 and time to go home. We planned for the next day until 9:30 and then we got ready for bed.
     I had my Mission President Interview the next morning and I told him how homesick I was. He really helped me a lot. He gave me a blessing. He is definitely a man of God.
     We don't have any investigators right now and the ward is really unenthusiastic about missionary work. The streets are always empty so it is hard to contact that way. 
     We had Zone Meeting this morning (6/7/13) and it was good. I got to meet more missionaries and the social interaction was nice. After Zone Meeting we had weekly planning. It got me excited to do real missionary work. I did talk to a guy named Scott who is hopeless, kind of. He used to be taught by the sister missionaries but they handed him over to the elders because he wasn't taking the sisters seriously (I don't think he takes any of this seriously). I did talk to him about a little bit about prayer and it was exciting. 
     Sister B and I have spent a lot of time getting to know each other. She is really nice and understanding. I've been able to show a little bit more of my personality. I don't know why that's been so hard for me...?  My companion knows my good friend from USU.
     Well I made it to Sunday, again (6/9/13). I've heard that it flies by once you make it through the first week. This was the slowest week of my whole life. It seems like years ago that I was at the airport talking on the phone to you, but it was only one week.
     I love you so much! Thank you for being my daddy!

Love your missionary #1

No comments:

Post a Comment